Please note that businesses throughout New England have been closed or are operating under modified conditions in response to the COVID-19 health crisis. Please travel responsibly, and check with state guidelines and individual businesses before making travel plans.
No New England fall experience is complete without a warm bag of apple cider donuts. Where can you find the best ones? Read on to learn our picks for the best cider donuts in New England.
Best Cider Donuts in New England
Atkins Farm | Amherst, MA
Made by hand using a recipe that includes the farm’s own apple cider, the cider donuts at Atkins Farm are the perfect mix of sweet and spicy. A coating of cinnamon-sugar seals the deal.
B. F. Clyde’s Cider Mill | Old Mystic, CT
B. F. Clyde’s is a popular spot to stock up on both sweet and hard apple cider (they’re the oldest steam-powered cider mill in the country), but you don’t want to miss the homemade apple cider donuts. They’re perfectly moist and sweet with a cinnamon-sugar coating.
Cold Hollow Cider Mill | Waterbury Center, VT
Located just outside the Green Mountain tourist town of Stowe, Cold Hollow Cider Mill uses fresh-pressed apple cider and their heavenly apple cider doughnuts to satisfy a year-round stream of visitors. Made fresh daily, the donuts at Cold Hollow come unadorned, allowing their big apple flavor to truly shine.
Rocky Ridge Orchard | Bowdoin, ME
Sweet and sugar-coated, the cake cider donuts at Rocky Ridge Orchard are a Midcoast Maine favorite. While you munch, pick up some of the farm’s apples, sweet cider, whoopie pies, or other tasty Maine treats like homemade pickles and local cranberries.
Russell Orchards | Ipswich, MA
The made-from-scratch cider donuts at Russell Orchards in Ipswich have the farm’s own cider (made from the farm’s own apples) right in the batter, giving them their terrific flavor. It’s also a lot of fun watching them go from batter to fryer to your waiting paper bag.
Facebook Fan Favorites:
- Becky G.: Lapsley Orchard in Pomfret, CT, has wonderful cider donuts. Very flavorful but not overly sweet. You can really taste the cider. I’ve had many cider donuts that are just sweet with no cider flavor.
- Sarah S.: Red Apple Farm in Phillipston, MA, is the BEST!
- Kelley L.: Windy Ridge Orchard in North Haverhill, NH, has the best cider donuts!
- Mary F.: Pakeen Farm in Canton, MA. They are small, almost like munchkins. They are made to order so they are super fresh and warm.
- Sheila L.: Cider Hill Farm in Amesbury, MA, has the absolute best cider donuts ever!!!
- Francine P.: Burt’s Orchard in Cabot, VT. Best cider donuts and cider. Donuts are fresh from the old farmhouse across the road. Can’t get any more VT than that!
Where are your picks for the best apple cider donuts in New England? Let us know!
This post was first published in 2012 and has been updated.